The Grand Center Arts District is a cultural crossroad driven by diversity. Grand Center Inc.’s mission is to build relationships between organizations and businesses that are diverse in mission, vision, and values, and the equally diverse individuals, community members, and residents that are represented and served. Grand Center Inc. is committed to the spirit of the district by welcoming diversity, being equity-centered, and ensuring accessibility and inclusion.
We are committed to the equity and the diversity of voices by embracing values, policies and practices that ensure that all people—regardless of race/ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender, age, socioeconomic status, immigrant status, educational status, or religion—have equal opportunities to participate as audiences, volunteers, artists, administrators, board members, and donors of Grand Center Inc.
Our broader DEAI mission goals are to:
- Seek out and build partnerships with organizations and individuals who embody and will forward our DEAI standards.
- Discuss at the board-level how systemic inequities affect Grand Center Inc.’s policies, procedures, programs, and services, and advocate for change that is consistent with our mission.
- Commit time and resources to ongoing DEAI centered training and expand a more diverse leadership within our board, staff, and committees.
- We expect employees, board members, and volunteers to embrace these values and to express them at the workplace, in any interaction that they serve as a representative of Grand Center Inc., and through day-to-day practices.
We are currently taking actionable steps to:
- Expand our existing Networking Breakfast event series to create an open forum for residents and those who work within the district to express community and individual needs.
- Implement an evaluation system that is accessibility minded and will be available to all participants of GCI’s programs and services, providing feedback that allows us to listen, evaluate, and grow to better serve our community.
- Partner with local organizations who will provide DEAI training, workshops, and additional resources/support for board, staff, committees, and volunteers.
Phase 1: DEAI Training
- Complete initial training with staff and any other BOD, YFGC members who choose to participate: Completed October 2022
- Create plan and budget for ongoing DEAI training: mandatory for staff, voluntary for GCI Board Members and Young Friends Committee members
- Focus Groups: Scheduled for December 2022 & January 2023
- Ongoing Training:
- Annual Training with DAP in January
- DAP Resource Book available to all GCI Staff for further training resources
- Add DAP Resource Book to new employee and volunteer onboarding
Phase 2: DEAI Statement
- After initial training is complete, finalize DEAI Statement: Collaboration between GCI Staff, EC, GC, and YFGC
- Present DEAI Statement Draft to GCI Board Members at BOD meeting in November 2022: Completed November 2022
- Update GCI website with approved DEAI Statement after BOD approval: Completed December 2022
Phase 3: DEAI Evaluation Plan
- Create action plan with deadlines to implement evaluation system
- To include Networking Breakfast forum (as noted above)
- Present DEAI Evaluation Plan to GCI Board Members at BOD meeting in February 2023
- Update GCI website to add DEAI Evaluation Plan to DEAI Statement after BOD approval
In the effort to be DEAI-centered, Grand Center Inc. will continue to listen, research, learn, engage, reflect, and grow by listening to our community.